Veterans Resource Center

Auburn University

Transitional Patient Advocate

The Central Alabama Veterans Health Care System (CAVHCS) has developed the Seamless Transition Program to assist returning combat veterans get connected with their VA healthcare benefits and to help ensure a smooth transition from active duty to veteran status. It is our duty and privilege to provide veterans with the best available healthcare.

It is our goal to ensure that all eligible service members receive the highest quality care in a timely manner. Combat Veterans may be eligible for up to 5 years of cost free healthcare for conditions related to their service. Therefore, enrollment is time sensitive as the 5-year enrollment period applicable to Veterans begins on the discharge or separation date of the service member from active duty military service, or in the case of multiple call-ups, the most recent discharge date.

Veterans who served in a theater of combat operations also have special eligibility for VA health care. Under the “Combat Veteran” authority VA provides cost-free health care services and nursing home care for conditions possibly related to military service and enrollment in Priority Group 6 or higher for 5 years from the date of discharge or release from active duty, unless eligible for enrollment in a higher priority group.

Combat Veterans who enroll with VA under this enhanced Combat Veteran authority will continue to be enrolled even after their enhanced eligibility period ends, although they may be shifted to Priority Group 7 or 8, depending on their income level, and required to make applicable copays. Additionally, for care not related to combat service, copays may be required depending on their financial assessment and other special eligibility factors.

If you have served in Operation Enduring Freedom (OEF), or Operation Iraqi Freedom (OIF), or Operation New Dawn (OND), we encourage you to contact the Seamless Transition Program team. Feel free to contact me with any questions that you may have. I will be at the Troops for Trojans Center once a month and be available to assist you with your enrollment process. Please contact me to schedule an appointment.

How do I enroll for VA Healthcare?

To receive healthcare benefits, all veterans must complete VA Form 10-10EZ (Application for Health Benefits). The following are the best methods to enroll:

  • Enroll in person at the Montgomery or Tuskegee location of CAVHCS,
  • Enroll online at:, or
  • Mail or Fax your completed VA Form 10-10EZ and the member 4 copy of your DD 214 to the Transition Program at 334-725-2776,
  • If you have any questions, please contact a member of the Transition Program above.

VA Healthcare Services Offered:

  • Primary Care, Nursing Home, Mental Health, and Residential Rehabilitation Treatment
  • Dental, Optometry, Audiology, Podiatry, and Neurology
  • Specialized Women’s Healthcare
  • Caregiver Support Program
  • Pharmacy & Prosthetics
  • Post-Deployment Readjustment Counseling, Military Sexual Trauma Counseling
  • Alcohol and Drug Dependency Treatment
  • PRRTP and Domiciliary Care
  • Vocational Rehabilitation/ CWT Program

Last modified: April 18, 2018