Veterans Resource Center

Auburn University

Commonly Asked Questions

Book Stipend


Q: “How will I receive my book stipend?”
A: The CH33: Post 9/11 GI Bill® pays the student a book stipend that will be sent via direct deposit to the bank account on file with the VA.  If you have questions concerning your account, or if you need to change your direct deposit information, you must contact the VA Regional office at 1-888-442-4551.

Q: “When will I receive my book stipend?”
A: The AU Veterans Resource Center cannot estimate as to when you will receive any of your benefits. Generally, the VA pays book allowance before the start of the term. If this is your first term on Federal VA Education benefits, you will receive a delay in your payments. You may call the VA Regional Office at 1-888-442-4551 to request an estimation as to when you should expect to receive your book stipend.

Q: “How much money do I receive for my book stipend?”
A: The CH33: Post 9/11 GI Bill® pays a book stipend at the rate of $41.67 per credit hour. This stipend has a maximum payable amount of $1,000 per academic year (Fall, Spring, and Summer).  EX: if you are taking 12 hours in the Fall, you will receive approximately $500.00 in book money for that semester if you are 100% eligible for CH33 Post 9/11.  If you are rated at less than 100%, or are taking less than 12 hours, multiply the amount of hours by $41.67 and by your percentage of eligibility.

Q: “Will my book allowance be enough to cover the cost of all of my books?”
A:  The best answer to this question is that sometimes it will be more than enough and sometimes it won’t be enough. This is why we encourage you to plan ahead when it comes to purchasing your textbooks and other required course materials.

Q: “Where do I get my books?”
A: Do not go to the scholarship counter to obtain books, unless you are on a separate scholarship that specifically pays for your books.  Since the book stipend is an allowance that comes directly to you, it is entirely up to you to decide where you want to purchase your books. Many students prefer the off-campus bookstores or online shopping, but be aware of the fact that some courses require Auburn University specific books that can only be purchased in the AU Bookstore.

Q: “Why is my book stipend in the spring semester less than what I received in the fall semester even though I am taking the same amount of credit hours?”
A: The most likely answer to this question is that you have reached the maximum amount ($1,000) of allowable book stipend for the academic year.  EXAMPLE: If you take 15 credit hours in the fall, you will receive approximately $625 in a book stipend for that term ($41.67 x 15 hrs.)  If you take 15 credit hours the following spring semester, instead of receiving the same amount of $625, you will only receive $375 because of the $1000 cap per academic year.

Q: “Why did I not receive a book stipend for the summer semester?”
A:  The most likely answer to this question is the same as the answer to the previous question.  If you have already been allotted $1,000 in book allowance for the previous fall and spring semesters, then unfortunately you will not receive any book money for the summer term.

Q: “I’m on Active Duty… do I receive a book allowance?”
A: Yes! As of August 1, 2011, all Active Duty personnel using the CH33: Post 9/11 GI Bill® will receive the book allowance entitlement.


BAH or Basic Housing Allowance

Q: “How much BAH do I receive each month?”
A: BAH rates are based off the current DoD rates for the Auburn (zip 36849) at the E5 with dependent rate.  Current DoD BAH rates can be found here.

Undergraduate Course Loads:  FULL TIME ≥ 12 hours

Total Hours 12 11 10 9 8 7 6
BAH Rate 100% 90% 80% 75% Round up to 80% 70% 60% 0%

Graduate Course Loads: FULL TIME ≥ 9 hours

Total Hours 9 8 7 6 5 4
BAH Rate 100% 90% 80% 60% 60% 0%

**Full time will be determined by the Graduate School or Department for special programs such as Executive MBA & Physician’s MBA.

**Distance Learning students will receive national BAH average and will not be identified by their specific address of residence or Auburn University’s address.

**Distance Learning Graduate Students who attend classes on campus for 2 or more days per term will receive BAH as an in-state resident student attending on campus classes.


Tuition and Fees

Q: “Does my VA Benefit pay my tuition and fees?”
A: There are only 2 Federal VA Education benefits that cover the cost of tuition and fees. These 2 benefits are CH33 Post 9/11 and CH31 Vocational Rehabilitation. Please visit this website for more information.

Q: “Will CH33: Post 9/11 GI Bill® pay for non-resident tuition and fees?”
A: Post 9/11 only pays tuition and fees at the resident rate. If you are a non-resident who does not qualify for resident tuition rates, you are responsible for paying the delta. Please contact the Residency Advisor in the Office of the Regisrtar to determine your residency status. Auburn University does not automatically grant military and their families’ in-state tuition simply because of their military status.

Q: “I’m a veteran/member of a military family. Will Auburn University grant me in-state tuition?”
A: The VRC cannot determine resident status for individuals to qualify for in-state tuition. Please direct all residency questions to the Office of the Registrar at 334-844-2726.

Q: “When will my tuition and fees get paid?”
A: If you are using the Post 9/11, a “penny memo” will be placed on the student’s eBill after registration. The penny memo ($0.01) is a place holder, telling the Bursar Office not to drop your schedule for non-payment, as you have money coming in from the VA to pay your student eBill.

Q: “Why did my loan and/or pell grant pay my bill?”
A: All financial aid such as a scholarship, loans, and/or pell grants will always pay the students bill first. If your financial aid pays the entire account balance, the student will receive a full refund when tuition and fees paid by the Post 9/11 arrive at Auburn University. Student loans, Pell grants, and PACT, etc. do NOT affect the GI Bill®.


What does CH33: Post 9/11 GI Bill® cover?

Q: “Does the Post 9/11 pay for minors?”
A: No, the GI Bill does not pay for minors. **Unless they are required and built into the curriculum program you are currently getting your degree in.** For more information, please refer to the SCO handbook.

Q: “Will the Post 9/11 pay for any class I want to take?”
A: No, the Post 9/11 only pays for classes that are required for your degree program! In a student’s graduating semester, as long as the student takes one class that is required for the student to graduate and receive his/her degree, the student can register for other classes within their program of study to register for 12hrs (full time). This is called “rounding out.” The VA only allows this once and in a student’s graduating term.

To ensure that your courses are fit that requirement, contact the VRC at

Q: “Does the Post 9/11 pay for my Dining Plan?”
A: The Post 9/11 does not cover the required Dining plans at Auburn University. The VA has determined that this is not a fee.

Q: “Does the Post 9/11 GI pay for my Admission Deposit to Auburn University?”
A: No, per VA regulations we cannot certify this deposit for payment through the VA.

Q: “I’m taking a free elective Scuba Diving class. The instructor told the class that there are extra fees to take this class, but that these fees will not be charged to my e-bill. Will the Post 9/11 pay for these fees?”
A: Fees that are not identified on your Auburn University eBill cannot be covered/paid for by the Post 9/11 GI Bill®.


Yellow Ribbon Program (YRP)

Q: “Does Auburn University participate in the Yellow Ribbon Program?”
A: Auburn University has agreed to assist fifty (50) fully matriculated Post 9-11 GI Bill® undergraduate, non-resident students who meet the program qualifications and complete the Auburn University YRP application process (see below). Auburn University will contribute up to one-half of the cost of tuition (per student per academic year) to be applied to the unmet portion (non-resident) tuition and fee costs. This amount will be matched by the VA. The combined amount of the contributions under YRP may not exceed the amount of the total unmet charges.

Q: “How do I determine if I am eligible for the Yellow Ribbon Program?”
A: Only individuals entitled at the 100% benefits level of CH33: Post 9/11 may receive YRP funding and who are categorized as a non-resident student at AU. Not eligible: Active Duty personnel, Spouses of Active Duty personnel using Transferred Entitlement, and Fry Scholarship recipients.

Q: “How do I apply for the Yellow Ribbon Program?”
A: Once you are admitted to Auburn University and have received a student ID#, you can apply online for YRP.

Once you complete the application, the VRC will note the date and time it was turned in and and you will be added to a waiting list. At the end of each term, the VRC will determine if there are any openings to award new recipients. Current YRP students rotate off each semester due to graduation, suspension, or termination of benefits. If a slot becomes available, a new applicant is eligible to receive the YRP and will be selected in the order we received the application. An email will be sent to those awarded.

Choice Act

Q: “What is the Choice Act?”
A: Section 702 of the Veterans Access, Choice and Accountability Act of 2014 states that students who meet certain requirements will be granted resident tuition rates while attending college. For more information, contact the VRC at or 334-844-8167.

Scholarships, Pell Grants, Student Loans, GTA Waivers

Q: “How do Scholarships, Waivers, and Fellowships affect my Post 9/11 GI Bill®?”
A: If the stipulations state the scholarship is to be allocated directly for tuition and fees  (only for tuition and fees,  solely for tuition and fees,  the equivalent of tuition and fees, etc.)  then the funds will be taken into consideration when determining the amount of tuition and fees requested from the VA. The scholarship will be deducted from the VA eligible tuition and fees and we will request the remaining balance from the VA.  NOTE: If the Scholarship does not state what it is to be used for, then it is considered a General Scholarship and it will not affect the Post 9/11 GI Bill®.          


Q: “If I fail a class or if a receive a “D” in a class that requires a “C” or better, will the Post 9/11 GI Bill pay for me to retake it?
A: Yes. If you fail a course or if you receive a “D” in a course that requires a grade of “C” or better, the Post 9/11 will cover the cost of retaking the course.

Q: “What if I fail a class because I did not attend the class?”
A: If you fail to attend a class and receive an “F”, “FA”, or “NR” for that class, you will be recertified back to the date you stopped attending the course. This often results in overpayments in tuition and housing.

Last modified: October 24, 2023