Veterans Resource Center

Auburn University


– FAQ –

Q: How do I utilize my Federal VA Education Benefits?

A: You must apply for your educational benefits through the VA online at After submission, it takes the VA typically 6 weeks to process your request and to send you a Certificate of Eligibility to your mailing address. For eligibility or payment history questions visit Each semester, your enrollment will be processed by a VA Certifying Official. If you have any questions regarding your education benefits you may email the Auburn University Veteran Resource Center at to make an appointment with the AU Veterans Resource Center.

Q: Do I receive Federal VA Education Benefits based on my active duty or veteran parent?

A:  See Chapter 35 Survivors’ and Dependents’ Educational Assistance Program and Chapter 33 Transfer of Eligibility for Dependents and Spouse.

Q:  When will I receive money from my Federal VA Education Benefits?

A:  Our VA Certifying Officials certify students’ enrollments to the VA after registration each semester. After submission, the VA takes approximately 15 business days to process and, if applicable, send tuition and fees to Auburn University. Your BAH arrives the following month after attending class for a month (i.e. you attend school during August, you will receive your BAH the first week of September.) Your BAH will be direct deposited to whatever account you set up with the VA. You can edit this information online in your eBenefits or account, or by calling the VA at 1-888-442-4551.

Q:  Can I qualify for financial aid even though I receive VA benefits?

A:  Yes. Apply for financial aid through . Amounts and eligibility will vary per student. If you only qualify for loans, you have the option to accept/decline them.

Q:  Do I receive academic credit for my military training?

A:  It is possible but it is up to the school to accept your military training according to your degree plan. Your first step would be to send your JST, VMET, and other college transcript (if applicable) to the AU Office of Admissions.

Q: How many credit hours must I have scheduled to maintain full-time status?

A: You must maintain 12 credit hours during fall and spring, and 8 credit hours during summer to be classified as a full-time student.

Q:  How can I help the Auburn Student Veterans Association with their goals?

There are many ways that are equally appreciated:

    1. Encourage Veterans and Veterans’ Supporters to check out our Facebook page.
    2. Donate what you can and feel is right, and get listed with other AUsome donors.
    3. Contact us via e-mail.

Q:  How can I stay up-to-date with the Auburn Student Veterans Association and the Veterans Resource Center away from Auburn University?

A:  You can follow us on social media, ASVA and VRC, and keep up to date with our Events Calendar (coming soon).

Q:  Who maintains this website?

A:  Kristen Carlsson. Any questions? Contact her here.

Q:  Are there any scholarships I can apply to?

A:  Yes, there’s an ever-growing list on the AUSOM site.

Q:  Can I have a copy of the CWE brief? 

A:  Yes, here it is: AU 2024 CWE BRIEF

Last modified: May 17, 2024